About the Event
Join Africa Soft Power for an in-person leadership session on December 14th (4pm – 6:30pm) on the margins of the U.S.-Africa Leaders’ Summit 2022 in Washington DC. This event, “Breaking Bold: Africa’s leadership in transformative solutions to intersecting global challenges” will focus on catalysing new thinking on women’s leadership, creative culture, economic power and contemporary models for transformation
- What roles can the private, social and public sector stakeholders play in strengthening the capacity of the continent to respond to global challenges?
- Why do women need to be at the heart of action aimed at addressing global issues such as climate change, insecurity, stalled economic growth, etc?
- Why are the creative industries vital to reframing narratives and encouraging active participation amongst underrepresented groups on the continent?
- How can local and international institutions/actors better catalyze systems change within key sectors such as health, law, finance, media, academia, etc?
- Former Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf once remarked: “Women leaders are better placed to draw on informal networks to mobilize rapid responses and community support. They are used to finding alternative resources and building ingenious partnerships to solve problems.” In today’s world, how would these qualities be harnessed to address local and global challenges?
- What is the future for Africa’s business ecosystem and what contemporary models for transformation can be created to support it?
- 3:55pm – Arrival
- 4:00pm – Beyond King Tut: The Immersive Experience (Nat Geo Museum)
- 4:30pm – Opening remarks: Nkiru Balonwu & Debra Adams Simmons
- 4:45pm – Fireside chat
- 5:00pm – Session: Breaking Bold: Africa’s leadership in transformative solutions to intersecting global challenges
- 6:15pm – Closing remarks
- 6:20pm – Canapés/networking